Friday, June 10, 2011

More of Galle and Unawatuna

The last few days have been quite amazing as I have gotten to know more of the students. I have hardly taught them much, only basic grammar but the connection we formed through cricket has been quite fantastic. Once we were on the playing field, the language barrier dropped and it was quite fascinating how we bonded. The students even taught me a bit of Sinhala which is very much like an Indian language.
We spent most of our afternoons at the Unawatuna beach, just soaking up the sun and enjoying the sea breeze.
That is an Olive Ridley in my hand!!
I tried exploring the local restaurants at Unawatuna but was disappointed with the ones I tried. Jina's Vegetarian and Vegan restaurant raised my hopes and appetite but the food was not up to the mark and left me quite annoyed.
One of the afternoons, I made my way to a turtle hatchery. It was amazing work a family was doing. They had about five of the seven species of turtles in the world and they raised and released hundreds of them every week. They kept a few for educational and research purposes and some of them were quite beautiful. Holding one of the Olive Ridleys was quite an experience
The Peace Pagoda on the Rumasalla hill
Last evening I went to Dagaba Buduge, a Buddhist temple with a pagoda on the hill. The view of the Indian ocean was simply mesmerizing as was panoramic view of the beach. It was quiet and a perfect place to watch the sunset.
Sunday morning I am required to take a train to Kegalle to start my second leg of my trip. The Elephant orphanage at Pinnawala will be my next stop in Sri Lanka!!
Good news! most of the pictures I have taken have been posted on the blog. Please feel free to go through them at your leisure.More after I reach Kegalle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment